STRONG, HEALTHY TEETH
from infancy onward
Aligned teeth. Correct bite. Healthy smile.
Orthodontics is that branch of dentistry which deals with the straightening the unaligned teeth on the maxillary arcade; more precisely handles the correction of a wrong bite (occlusion). It’s painless!
Aligning the teeth which aren’t correctly positioned is necessary due to aesthetic reasons, but also because it aims at enhancing the overall facial and maxillary welfare. The spaces between the teeth, which can be too big or too little and the overlapping teeth, favor the appearance of decays, of gingival inflammation, of periodontitis and of other health issues. By means of dental braces, the unaligned teeth can be straightened and repositioned, the result being a beautiful smile and a well-proportioned facial aesthetics.
The orthodontic treatment is not limited to a certain age group. The dental braces are customized for each patient and can be worn by both children and adults. However, for the best results, it is recommended to begin the treatment as early as possible, right from infancy or teenage years.
The duration of the treatment depends on the severity of the problem and can last between a few months and several years. The majority of the patients are treated during two years’ time. Meanwhile, every 4-6 weeks’ appointments to see the doctor are necessary. After removing the orthodontic braces, most times, it is required to wear a retention device to help maintain the new position of the teeth.
Instruction regarding the orthodontic treatment
- Before beginning an orthodontic treatment it is necessary to solve any dental issues;
- The oral hygiene must be impeccable during the time when the braces are worn; there are special brushes called interdental brushes;
- The success of the orthodontic treatment depends on the care for the device and for the oral cavity;
- Sticky, hard, crunchy, or difficult to chew foods must be avoided, as well as those high in sugar;
- After the device is applied or after monthly check-ups it is possible to sense a certain tension as a result of the force involved as teeth shift to regain the correct position;
- The dentist’s indications must be followed precisely, regarding the duration and the way in which braces are worn;
- Activation meeting mustn’t be missed;
- Wearing a retention device after the orthodontic one is taken off is mandatory in order to maintain the new position of the teeth.
Types of dental braces
Fixed braces generate fine teeth shifting towards all spatial spans, impossible to achieve by means of mobile devices. These can be used for both children and adults. Fixed braces are stuck to the teeth and wearing them becomes permanent, as the patients cannot remove them as they please. They are easy to wear and to adapt to and they do not impede mastication or speech.
The mobile braces allow a precocious treatment, before all teeth are changed, being applied and removed by the patient. They can be put in use from an early age, allowing the correction of dental maxillary abnormalities from the beginning and stopping the evolution towards more serious issues, sometimes irreversible.
The contention appliance is a fixed or mobile device which is worn after removing the fixed, orthodontic one, in order to maintain the correct position of the teeth at the end of the treatment. Wearing the contention braces is the only solution which assures the maintenance of teeth’s position, obtained after the orthodontic treatment.