Dental implants and complicationsOctober 29, 2019
Mentinatorul de spatiu, cînd și cum îl utilizămJanuary 9, 2020
The role of the retainer is to prevent and stabilize the teeth after the braces have been removed. It may be a fixed or mobile device and is applied during the same session when the braces are removed.
Immediately after removal of the orthodontic device, the teeth are in an unstable position and all patients must wear a restraining device, fixed or mobile.
What causes of tooth instability?
- The gum around the teeth and periodontal ligaments are affected by tooth displacement, compressed or elongated. It takes time to reorganize and remodel. Some gingival fibers are remodeled slowly and have a residual elasticity and can cause tooth displacement even after one year after completion of orthodontic treatment.
- The pressures exerted on the teeth by the soft parts, tongue, lips, cheeks
- Increased maxillary bones that change the position of the teeth. Maxillary bone growth continues for up to 20 years, especially in boys. Some orthodontic problems that cause the position and volume of the maxillary bones may recur: mandibular prognathism, open occlusion, deep occlusion, mandibular retrusion.
The retainer must be used by all patients that have received a fixed orthodontic treatment!
For how long should a retainer be worn?
The retainer is used:
- DAILY, FOR 24 HOURS, during the first 3-4 months after the removal of the braces. Mobile retainers (transparent acrylic mouthguard type) are removed during meals and teeth hygienization. Except for this, they must be worn 24/7.
- A FEW HOURS DURING THE DAY AND THROUGHOUT THE NIGHT up to 12 months after the removal of the braces.
- After one year, at NIGHT, for a period equal to the duration of the orthodontic treatment (2 years, if the treatment lasted for 2 years).
The retainer is gradually eliminated, by wearing it every 2 nights, then once a week. Potential changes in the position of the teeth must be checked. If they do not change position (the retainer is inserted easily and no pressure is felt), it can be eliminated.