Is the orthodontic treatment painful?May 17, 2019
Agenesis (absence of development) of the upper lateral incisorsJune 24, 2019
Involves a consultation, in order to assess the severity of the disease, by determining the number of affected teeth, measuring the depth of the periodontal pockets and the degree of mobility.
- indications are provided for dental X-rays,
- the patient’s dental hygiene is assessed, by coloring the teeth with a plaque indicating solution (food residues on the teeth, not removed during brushing),
- training is provided for correct and complete brushing,
- the dental laser may be used for bacterial decontamination, before probing the pockets,
- scaling is performed above and under the gums, airflow,
- incorrect treatments which are an irritating factor for the gum are redone (incorrect fillings or prostheses), irrecoverable teeth are extracted.
Then, there is a period of a few weeks during which the patient applies the received hygienization advice. The reassessment of the gum’s condition and the cleanliness of the teeth is performed afterwards. If the patient follows the recommendations, the condition of the gums will improve significantly, with a reduced level of inflammation and bleeding. Now, it is determined which teeth require the 2nd stage of the treatment.
Laser treatment of periodontal pockets.
For the teeth where the periodontal pockets are deeper than 4 mm, curettage is performed. This means that the infected gum tissue is replaced. The laser is an extremely useful tool in this stage. It has a powerful bactericide effect and manages to reach deep into the tissue. It contributes to the fast healing of the gum, through an effective elimination of infected tissues and by killing pathogenic bacteria. The entire procedure is performed without scalpel incision, without drills and suture wires. Bleeding is minimal. Healing is quick after the intervention, the laser also has a biostimulation and anti-inflammatory effect.
During the healing period, it is very important to observe the received indications. Dental hygiene must be impeccable.
The reassessment of the patient in order to determine the effectiveness of the treatment is performed 3 months after stage 2. Between those sessions, no other treatment is performed, in order to allow the body’s regeneration potential to work at the maximum extent.
The patient with periodontal disease will have to be permanently monitored by a specialist, in order to see any changes in the condition of the gums.