How to take care of your bracesNovember 30, 2017
Contraindications of porcelain veneersDecember 2, 2017
Indications and contraindications of teeth whitening
Whiter teeth are a major aesthetic advantage, easy to achieve, with minimum costs and risks.
Teeth whitening is indicated for:
- removing colored stains caused by foods and drinks, smoking, or some amalgams;
- yellow teeth caused by aging;
- teeth erupted with coloration, due to a tetracycline treatment during their development (tetracycline should not be administered to children!);
- in some types of fluorosis (excess fluoride during the development of the teeth).
There are few contraindications of whitening:
- allergy to whitening products (very rare)
- pregnant or nursing women
- particularly sensitive teeth
- teeth with erosions, cavities (have to be treated before the whitening)
- very dark colored teeth (the effects of whitening can be insufficient and require additional methods, such as veneers, for a major aesthetic effect).